The Student's Opinion

The Student teaches.

Monday, April 24, 2006

My Sunday

Sunday night.
My friend and I, along with some other friends, were going out to see comedy act, Lano and Woodley, on their Goodbye Tour. After 20 years they were retiring.
Now, don't get me wrong. I've seen the Lano and Woodley TV shows. I've heard their humorous songs. However, if you're going to do a Goodbye Tour, in my opinion you should come up with some fresh material.
Almost every part of the show was old. Some of the humour was from the TV shows, some from previous appearances that I'd seen and heard. But all of their comedy was old.
After 20 years, perhaps to treat their loyal fans they might've wanted to come up with some new stuff to go with. Instead of recycling jokes, they should've made new ones. I spent $40 on going to this thing, when I could've spent half of that seeing Dave Hughes, and gotten more laughs.
Speaking of which, Hughesy (Dave Hughes), is a hilarious guy. Normally I listen to Triple M, because of Spoonman (think I mentioned him in my first post) and some of the other hosts. But whenever I need a laugh in the morning, I just switch on over to Nova 100.3, because Hughesy is a class comedian. He's also on a show on the ABC called The Glass House. It's a panel of three comedians, and each week they have two guests. The regulars are Wil Anderson, Corrine Grant and Dave Hughes. They talk about stuff that has been in the news lately, but they somehow manage to turn boring political crap like the AWB fiasco into comedy. Aussies: Wednesday night, 9:30.

Another thing I want to talk about is something I call electronic seclusion.
What I mean by that is this; Is electronic equipment killing off physical social interaction?
On the drive up to the show, as soon as we got in the car everybody whipped out their phones and iPods and started listening to music etc. Luckily I hadn't brought any electronic distractions, which meant I was able to think for a while.
Is the advancement of technology really such a great thing when it will eventually turn us all into barely social people? One day, we'll be able to talk into a headphone and look into a screen, and 10 minutes later food with appear in our fridges. No human interaction required.
Is that really what we want for the future? Already a lot of things are turning to the Web, because that's the marketing strat at the moment. If you don't have a Web presence, you're going to fall behind. I'll talk more about that later. Anyway, now Universities are offering online courses, so you never have to go to Uni, you can do it from your home. I don't doubt that near in the future, somebody will create a credit card machine compatible with a PC, so with a swipe of the card, you can login to your net bank, and deposit/withdraw money at your own will, like your own personal ATM. Almost said ATM machine, but that' just stupid. Think about it.
Perhaps the advancement of technology should be restrained? Sure it might make us more socially interactive with other humans (physically), but isn't that also restraining our ultimate goal?
Which brings me to yet another point. What is the ultimate goal of the human race? It would seem that our ultimate goal, to me at least, is to advance as far as we can before Greenhouse gases asphyxiate us, and melting ice caps flood our countries. I guess the ultimate goal of humans, essentially, is to survive and evolve. Will that lead to cybernetic enhancements such as those we see on Sci Fi TV? Call me traditionalist, but I'm fine with my flesh thanks. If you've got a different view, feel free to share it in the comments.

Web marketing strategies. It's the theme of the decade. Microsoft put it nicely when they said "If you don't have a Web presence, you have nothing".
Microsoft has finally woken up and realised that they are royally fucked if they don't start directly competing with Google. While they've held the lead in the software market (and still do) for the last decade (or two?), Google is now coming out with things that are web-based, but compete with Microsoft's products, namely Microsoft Outlook.
This has prompted Microsoft into action. Their "Live!" project was sort of something they were working on while they finish of Vista. But now they've realised that Google is going to shite all over them if they don't pick up the slack, they've put Live! into full gear. Now there are many Live! products all available for BETA testing. Just recently I signed up to checkout new Windows Live Mail, which is like an upgraded Hotmail. It looks like a web-based version of Outlook. I'll let you know how that goes when I get my account.
So good luck to Microsoft in their endeavours. Google has been buying up lots of stuff lately, and I think they could crush Microsoft eventually, which is unfortunate. I'm a bit supporter of Microsoft, I think their software is amazing, and is unrivaled, and it would be disappointing if they had to go out of business. Google's products compared to those of Microsoft are sub-par in my opinion (apart from Gmail and Gcal. Gcal is excellent).




That's enough for today. My diggnation podcast just finished downloading.
Out.

5 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Hughesy rocks in the morning. :)

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't read it. =D!!!

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha nice one - NewBerson

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave hughes gets old,
its always IM ANGRY

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for the technology thing. i agree. Have you noticed? A classmate can be very much active on the 'Net but come school and he who has been talking so much with you suddenly doesn't even know how to say a "Hi".
~Kronian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home