The Student's Opinion

The Student teaches.

Monday, May 08, 2006

My first job

I had my very first shift in a part-time job this evening. It went a little bit like this.

Mum dropped me off outside the shopping complex. It was cold and windy. I felt self-conscious about my uniform, which was semi-formal, but I wore it like a white collar worker would.
I strode up the arcade lane, and into the complex. I walked along as cool as possible to vainly conceal the fact that I was a nervous wreck on the inside. Many things were being taken into consideration inside my head. What were the staff like? I wonder if the managers are nice? Hope I get to use the snack machine?
I strode into Target and casually entered the reception area, and announced I was here for my induction. My voice had taken on an odd Russel Crowe-like mask, thus I sounded like the Aussie film star himself.
I took a seat. One of the 3rd tier management, Donna, came and greeted me and another girl called Erin.
She took us up to an office, and we began the discussions. Intense negotiations about wages, hours, and unions took pl- Wait wait wait, no. Actually we just signed some forms and was persuaded against joining the union. Fine with me, I can do with the extra $3 that I would have to contribue if I joined the union. Fuck that.

Soon, we began our tour of the store. Ducking and diving around dangerous machinery, we entered the "Reserves", the place where many of the lowlife scum of retail outlets hang. But instead I found some nice guys, one by the name of Brenton who would be my supervisor for the night. As we finished crushing boxes and riding on the large trolleys, we went out onto the sales floor as the shop was closing, ready to start our 3 hour shifts.
We began carving open boxes and stacking up the shelves. Soon, I was placed with a guy called Chris. Nice guy, liked his job I guess. Chris pretty much taught me the ropes of the "Fill team".
However all was not well that night. As knives and other kitchen utensils were unpacked from one of the trolleys (known as "cages"), we soon came to the frying pans. Chris and I both reached into the box and pulled one out. As hard as we tried, we couldn't stop the two pans from connecting for a mere second, thus initiating a combat sequence that was truly epic.
It was on. Up and down the aisles, I parried and swiped at Chris as he did the same. I saw a weak spot in his guard, and rose my pan into the air, ready to make the final stroke, when I accidentally slammed a box on top of a shelf. Rocking precariously on it's perch, the whole shelf began to shudder. Chris and I forgot our quarrel and leapt into action, saving the whole stock of that shelf from crashing into it's inevitable doom. The china would live to fight another day.
We returned to stacking the shelves. Along the way I got friendly with the rest of the Fill Team, and even met some of the other after-hours staff (nice guy called Anthony who works in sound, some chicks from softgoods which are goddamn scary, one of them called Sara).
Soon it was time to knock off. As I finished compacting the last bits of cardboard, we all signed out and waited at the front of the store to be let out the side, and back to our respective holes.
As I walked out of the shopping complex and towards where I was rendevouzing with my Mum, I saw three stoners getting high on one of the streets. Carefully keeping my distance and straying into the shadows away from them, I ensured my safety. As I neared the final stretch to my car (which I could see in the distance) an UNHOLY WIND picked up. Hundreds of knots it must've been and it rustled me something awful. The legal papers I was holding in my hand nearly flew away along with myself. The demon lord of Frankston strikes again, but there's a new kid on the block.
And he just conquered his first shift.

3 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whooo... my 1st internship day shall me in 2 years time. :P

Neways... I didnt quite get the part on the frying pans...U quarreled with Chris?

-kronian

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude thats so awesome! The job is the job I would like to have!

-Mike

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Job jake :P

I liked the bit about the frying pans, was Chris your father?

~Julz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home